Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Adventures at Mike's Wedding

My baby brother got married on Saturday in Roxboro, North Carolina. We flew to Raleigh on Thursday to participate in the festivities.

Alex was the ring bearer. Meghan was one of three flower girls. I was a bridesmaid and Lorenzo was an observer.

Tracy, Mike's bride, is a wonderful lady with a great family who was very hospitable. Tracy's Dad used to work for the local Pepsi bottler, so we had business in common.

The accents were a little stronger than Lorenzo was used to, but we managed to communicate and have a great time.

Thursday we arrived and headed to the mall to get Alex's tux. He was wearing a black tux with tails and a lavender vest/tie. He looked great.

After a successful fitting, we headed to Mike and Tracy's house for a barbecue and a few beers. Susan and her family arrived and a good time was had by all.

Tracy detailed the plan for the next few days including nail appointments, bridal luncheon, rehearsal, hair and makeup appointments and, of course, the wedding! Lorenzo asked if he would see me before Sunday and sadly, he wasn't kidding.

There was drama with a bridesmaid who didn't want to pay for her hair and nails, but beyond that, the weekend went smoothly.

The Spa Gallery, where our hair and makeup were done, is on top of a muffler shop. The ladies who helped us were fantastic, even if the location was a little strange. No weird noises or smells so I can't complain.

The wedding service was beautiful and the weather couldn't have been better. The reception was a lot of fun with lots of dancing and laughter. My mom's Aunt Mary and cousin Barb came from Virginia. My dad's sister, Aunt Betty, brought her daughter, Cherry, and grand-daughter, Amy. My cousin Kevin, brought his wife and children also. I hadn't seen most of them in about 8 years (since Susan's wedding) so I really enjoyed seeing them.

We spent Saturday evening in the hotel lobby visiting with the family and I really enjoyed re-connecting with them.

We had breakfast Sunday at Biscuit-ville and my craving for good southern biscuits was fulfilled. Somehow the McDonald's breakfast from Saturday wasn't near as good. Then it was time to head to the airport and get home.

The trip was great. Between the laughter and happy tears, I couldn't have asked for a better wedding.

Congratulations Mike and Tracy!