Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Introduction: Lynn the Risk Averse, Early Bird, Foodie

So there I was sitting on the piano, wearing nothing but a smile. I've always wanted to use that line in a conversation. It suggests my story will be racy, exciting and even sensual.
Sensual, that's probably not the word my friends would use to describe me. Sensual suggests confidence in oneself. It suggests beauty and a connection to the external world that I don't pretend to understand. The closest I could come is probably savory. Come on, admit it, can't you just imagine the taste of a rich chocolate cake with deep creamy icing. The cake, moist and almost melting on your tongue. The icing lingering on your lip to the point that you must wipe it away. Is your mouth watering? Mine is.
I am a chef by hobby. Perhaps you could tell from my passionate description of that cake. Being a chef as a profession is not practical for me. Why? Well, the hours stink. Consider when you most often eat out. If you make a reservation at a restaurant, the average dinner time will range from 7 to 9 pm, with dinner often lasting into the wee hours of the morning. I am not a night person. As a matter of fact, I am the complete opposite of a night person, most days rising at 5 am and heading to be around 9pm. So, as you can see a chef job would probably not be ideal for me.
Of course, there is always a breakfast / lunch place, and believe me, I've considered it. I make great breakfasts. I have mastered waffles, pancakes, all varieties of omlettes, eggs, breakfast meats and most recently fritattas. I can make muffins, cinnamon rolls, various breads and even operate a cappucino machine from a stint at Gloria Jean's Coffee Shop in college. Ultimately though, no matter how much I love the idea of running my own business, there is risk.
Risk is something I don't handle well. Strangely, regardless of subject I tend to be extremely risk averse. I can't really articulate why, but suffice it to say if there is a conservative and safer position on one side of any spectrum, you'll generally find me there. So why do you need to know that, well, so you can understand me, I guess. What have you learned so far? I am a risk averse, early bird, foodie, who wishes she was more exciting, or at least confident.

Chapter I "Foodie" to follow

No comments: