Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Celebration and Sedation

Today is the first day of the Irish's next season. Happy 2006 to you all!

The holidays were wonderful for Clan Martinez. We had a visit from Santa that brought the kids' bicycles. We had a visit from the California Grandparents that brought the kids laughter and much needed day care during the Christmas break. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve where we welcomed my mom into the Davis Family Tradition of Pizza and Tamales. Christmas brought gifts, laughter and happiness. In a year that brought sorrow and difficulty to many, I am very happy to say that 2005 was a great year for our family and I was a little sad to see it draw to an end.

Some key celebrations in 2005 included:
  • Judi's move to Dallas
  • My brother Mike's engagement to a great lady, Tracy
  • Carly, my sister's daughter was born
  • Lynn's promotion
  • Alex's acceptance into the Gift and Talented Program
  • My friend Pam's long awaited wedding
  • The Redskins beating the Cowboys, twice

Some key sedations in 2005 were:
  • The horror of Katrina, with friends who have family who lost their homes
  • The earthquake in Pakistan, with new found friends who lost some family
  • Medical scares for family and friends
  • The continued "leadership" of our president
  • The Irish loss to USC
  • The Cowboys loss to Redskins, twice (Alex was very un-happy)

Overall, 2005 was definitely filled with more blessings than sorrows for our family. But, in the spirit of Irish fans who just won't die, I must share a few conversations from last night.

First, Alex was very upset by the loss. He was crying by the end of the game. I turned off the TV and turned on my best "mom" voice and said, "Alex, it's only a game. It'll be ok." (Of course, inside I too, was upset, but he didn't need to know that.)

I reminded him it was time for bed and we headed upstairs. Still sniffling, he said, "I really hate Ohio State, Mom."

Understanding his sentiment completely, I said, "You don't have to like them honey. It's just a team."

I reached for his Leprechaun and handed it to Alex. As it began to play The Fight Song, I suggested he go to sleep and dream of playing for The Irish and beating Ohio State. With a weak smile, he said, "Good night, Mom. I love you."

Later, I found Lorenzo in his office. He wasn't crying, but he was annoyed by the outcome. "They're calling for Minter's head. He's the guy who let BC beat us, you know."

"Lorenzo, it's just a game. Alex was crying. He said he hates Ohio State. At least he won't ever want to go there."

"How long has it been since we've won a bowl game honey? 10, no 12 years?!?"

"The last time they won you were a student, Lorenzo. I have an idea, why don't you apply to be a student again? We'll pack up here and move to South Bend. What do you think?"

"Yeah, I'll call my boss right now," he said in pure jest.

"Actually, you know, they haven't won a bowl game since we've known each other," I told him. "Maybe it's us."

So, my dear readers, please let us know how you think we can best break this streak. Should we move to South Bend or break up? I vote for the move!!!

****Please note, this poll is purely in jest!

No comments: